Suspected COVID-19 patient in Semarang died of swine flu: Minister

first_imgA suspected COVID-19 patient who died in Semarang, Central Java, on Sunday tested positive for the H1N1 virus, which is a known cause for swine flu, according to Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto.“It was not COVID-19; we only found H1N1, which is a typical flu. It was verified twice through polymerase chain reaction [PCR] testing. [The patient] tested negative for the Wuhan coronavirus both times,” he said in Jakarta on Thursday.“The medication for H1N1 is widely available. It’s called ometamisir; the Health Ministry has an entire supply of it.” Fathur Nur Kholis, a doctor from Kariadi Central General Hospital in Semarang where the COVID-19 suspect had been treated, said the patient had succumbed to bronchopneumonia, a disease that gradually damages the lungs.Read also: [UPDATED] Death of isolation patient ‘not COVID-19’, says Indonesian hospitalResponding to questions as to why the patient had exhibited symptoms resembling those of COVID-19, Terawan said the viruses were similar. Therefore, the patient’s body was treated in accordance with the established protocol to contain H1N1, he said.The suspect was wrapped in plastic before being cremated, which raised concerns over whether the death was indeed caused by COVID-19.Agoes Oerip Poerwoko, the hospital’s medical and treatment director, previously said the method of the patient’s burial was in accordance with coronavirus containment procedures.“Those in charge of the burial wore protective gear, including masks […] in accordance with the procedure. The path to the morgue was cordoned off. The body itself was wrapped in plastic to prevent visiting family members from being infected by the virus,” Agoes said on Wednesday.The COVID-19 outbreak, caused by the 2019 novel coronavirus, came roughly 11 years after the global swine flu outbreak, which infected more than 390,000 people in Asia alone and took as many as 200,000 lives worldwide. (rfa)Topics :last_img read more

Governor Wolf Announces $5 Million Funding for Naloxone to First Responders

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter October 05, 2017 Governor Wolf Announces $5 Million Funding for Naloxone to First Responderscenter_img Press Release,  Public Health,  Public Safety,  Substance Use Disorder Harrisburg, Pa. – Governor Wolf today announced that the $5 million included in the 2017-18 budget to provide naloxone to first responders in Pennsylvania is now available. Details of the application process and benefits of naloxone will be provided at a press conference at 2 p.m. today in the Capitol Reception Room with representatives of the departments of Drug and Alcohol Programs (DDAP), Health (DOH), and the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD).“Naloxone, a life-saving medication, is making a difference in the heroin and opioid epidemic in Pennsylvania and why I included funding for it in my 2017-18 budget,” Governor Wolf said. “This program will create a fast, efficient means of getting these life-saving kits in the hands of first responders; those people on the front line of the epidemic, and responsible not only for saving lives, but getting people into treatment via the warm handoff program, and ultimately into recovery.”More than 60,000 Naloxone kits, which include two, 4-milligram doses in each, will be available to all 67 counties over a two-year period using the funding. The kits are supplied by Adapt Pharma, headquartered in Radnor.“Pennsylvania continues to lead the way in improving awareness and access to this potentially life-saving medication,” said Mike Kelly, President, U.S. Operations, Adapt Pharma. “We applaud Governor Wolf’s commitment to this initiative as well as the commonwealth’s broader initiatives to address this epidemic.”PCCD is releasing a request for applications to support the provision of intranasal naloxone kits to first responders today. NARCAN®(naloxone HCI) Nasal Spray is needle-free and does not require assembly. It’s designed for ease of use for nonmedical personnel.One main point-of-contact for each county or region will be identified to coordinate the process of getting the kits into the hands of first responders. That point-of-contact will be responsible for identifying first responder needs for naloxone within that county or region.The Wolf Administration’s Physician General and Acting Secretary for DOH Dr. Rachel Levine issued a standing order for naloxone in April of this year. Since that time, more than 3,900 lives have been saved with naloxone. In addition, the Gov. Wolf and state agencies have been increasing efforts in the heroin and opioid epidemic fight in multiple additional areas, including numerous programs and initiatives:Working with the legislature to establish a new law limiting the number of opioids that can be prescribed to a minor and to individuals discharged from emergency rooms to seven days;Strengthening the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) through the legislative process so that doctors are required and able to check the system each time they prescribe opioids and benzodiazepines. To date, there have been more than 12 million patient searches made on the system;Forming new prescribing guidelines to help doctors who provide opioid prescriptions to their patients, including guidelines specific to orthopedics and sports medicine;Creating the warm handoff guideline to facilitate referrals from the emergency department to substance abuse treatment;Teaming with the legislature to establish education curriculum on safe prescribing for medical schools;Educating and encouraging patients to properly use, store and dispose of unused prescription medications through drug take-back initiatives, and expanding the number of drug take-back locations to nearly 700.For more information on the standing order for naloxone, visit the Department of Health’s website. For more information about the naloxone application process, visit the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency’s website.last_img read more

Fantastic opportunity for first homebuyers in prime location

first_img5 Bishop St, Belgian Gardens“It’s a great buy in a great and very popular location,” he said.“The area also has a low crime rate, or so we’ve been told by a police officer who came through to inspect it. “Notable features of the home also include a spacious grassy wraparound yard with established gardens, a stylish kitchen equipped with stainless steel electric stove, louvre and casement windows that enhance natural light and air flow, off street parking in carport with undercover access to home, large storage shed and more. 5 Bishop St, Belgian GardensIF location, modern-day comforts and the right price are your trifecta in buying a home, this charming cottage is sure to tick all the right boxes.Practically laid out, smartly styled and set in a sought-after location, this single-level home at 5 Bishop Street, Belgian Gardens presents a fantastic opportunity for first homebuyers and downsizes alike. Best of all, it’s convenient placed within walking distance of shops, the primary school and the beach. More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 20205 Bishop St, Belgian GardensIn the same family since 1993, the property has served as both a family home and office space for John McLean Architects.With polished hardwood floors on show throughout living and dining areas, three good sized bedrooms and a spacious bathroom, this property is ready to be loved and cherished by its new owners.Listing agent Brad Matheson said while the home was small and cosy, the property did have potential for extension.last_img read more

DEME – Data Sponsor for the Innovation Hackathon in Barcelona

first_imgOSIsoft LLC, a manufacturer of application software for real-time data management called the PI System, has announced that DEME will serve as the data sponsor for the Innovation Hackathon at PI World in Barcelona taking place September 24-27, 2018.At the Innovation Hackathon, teams of programmers, data scientists business analysts and others will compete to develop applications that sit on top of OSIsoft’s PI System to solve critical marine engineering problems over a 23-hour period.As data sponsor, DEME will provide a sanitized data feed distilled from its own operations for contestants to create, train and test their applications.The theme of the Hackathon – Soil, Mud, Sensors and Vessels – reflects DEME’s expertise.For over 140 years DEME has been a global leader in dredging, environmental remediation and complex marine engineering and participated in projects such as helping build artificial islands in Abu Dhabi, expanding port facilities in Asia, reducing coastal erosion in Benin, etc.“One of the major challenges we had with our company data before we were working with OSIsoft was gathering all of the data so that we could gain insights,” said Kristof de Mey, IT business partner of DEME. “The importance of the PI System will probably increase in our company since we are working on advanced like machine learning, Big Data and advanced analytics.”DEME has been an OSIsoft customer and PI System user since 2010.last_img read more

Gobert, all NBA Jazz players and staff clear of coronavirus

first_img FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Rudy Gobert, the first NBA player to test positive for coronavirus, and all Utah Jazz players and staff have been cleared of coronavirus by the Utah Department of Health, the club announced Friday.Utah’s Rudy Gobert, the first NBA player to test positive for coronavirus, and all of the Jazz players and staff have been cleared of coronavirus by the Utah Department of Health, the team announced FridayIt was Frenchman Gobert testing positive for COVID-19 just before a game on March 11 at Oklahoma City that prompted the NBA to shut down the season, with his teammate Donovan Mitchell also testing positive.Players and staff members completed a 14-day isolation and quarantine period and no longer pose a risk of infection to others, according to the state health department.Clearance typically involves two negative tests for coronavirus that are taken at least 24 hours apart.Jazz players had been in quarantine or isolation since March 11, staying in touch through video chat links.Jazz players and staff will continue to practice distancing and limit time outside of their homes to essential activities, following guidelines from the NBA and US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Loading… Promoted Content7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Fantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right NowThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterTop 10 Female Disney Villains You’ll Definitely Fall In Love WithThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This Day Read Also: Djokovic donates €1m to help Serbia combat coronavirusThe Jazz news comes a day after Detroit’s Christian Wood became the first publicly known NBA player to be cleared after testing positive for coronavirus on March 15.Wood, the third NBA player to test positive after Gobert and Mitchell, had been matched against Gobert in a game against the Jazz just before the Frenchman’s positive test.last_img read more

Girls High School Basketball Scores (11-22)

first_imgWRBI Area Girls High School Basketball Scores.Friday (11-22)Jac-Cen-Del  63     Oldenburg Academy  21South Decatur  64     Greensburg  49Switzerland County  58     Rising Sun  38Hauser  58     Waldron  35Southwestern  52     Shelbyville  50Jennings County  68     Southwestern  47Connersville  49     Centerville  30Rushville  65     Mt. Vernon  43Randolph Southern  48     Union County  32last_img

Ms. Geannie Hensel named Educator of the Month

first_imgFRANKLIN COUNTY, Ind. — Ms. Geannie Hensel has been named Franklin County Community School’s educator of the month for February.According to school officials, Ms. Hensel announced in January her plans to retire at the end of the school year.A few weeks later, Superintendent Dr. Debbie Howell visited Hensel’s classroom to surprise her with the news that she was selected as the Educator of the Month.Ms. Hensel has been employed as a physical education and health teacher at the school for 37 years.Hensel was nominated for the honor by a high school student-athlete because of her dedication to the students and her unwavering school spirit.last_img read more

Sunderland sign Senegal striker Dame N’Doye on loan

first_img Press Association Sunderland have signed Senegal striker Dame N’Doye on loan from Trabzonspor for the rest of the season. “Having already played in the Premier League, he should have no problems in hitting the ground running, too, which is very important at this stage of the season.” After spells with Academica in Portugal and Greek sides Panathinaikos and OFI Crete, N’Doye enjoyed the most prolific spell of his career at FC Copenhagen, scoring 59 goals in 104 appearances. His stint in Denmark ended in 2012 when he joined Lokomotiv Moscow, and his form there earned him a move to Hull. N’Doye made an immediate impact with three goals in his first four games and also scored a double against Crystal Palace but finished last season on a five-match winless run as Hull were relegated. He spent pre-season with Hull but left after Trabzonspor met his release clause of £2.2million, which was £800,000 less than the Tigers paid for him. N’Doye, who will wear the number 10 shirt for Sunderland, has been a regular for Senegal since making his debut in 2010 and played in last year’s African Nations Cup. He will not be available for Saturday’s trip to Tottenham because formalities pertaining to his work visa still need to be completed. center_img The 30-year-old has Barclays Premier League experience having played for Hull last season, scoring five goals in 15 appearances before moving to Turkey in August. Black Cats boss Sam Allardyce told the club website: ” Dame will bring something different to our forward options. last_img read more

I-League: Plaza gives Churchill Brothers crucial win over Neroca

first_imgVasco: Trinidad & Tobago striker Willis Plaza scored a brace to join Chennai’s Pedro Manzi at the top of the I-League’s goal scoring charts and complete a brilliant comeback for his side, late in the second-half, to pull off a crucial win over Neroca FC here on Saturday.Neroca sealed three points in Saturday’s third and final I-League game, thanks to a Varney Kallon strike in the first-half before Plaza struck twice in the last five minutes to break their hearts.It was an amazing turnaround and with this win, the former two-time champions reached 25 points from 14 games to be placed third on the table, five behind league leaders Chennai. Neroca would rue what might have been and remained in the fifth position with 21 points.Churchill made one change in the playing eleven from the previous game as Nenad Novakovic came in place of Hussein Eldor in deep defence. Neroca’s Spanish coach Manuel Fraile, on the other hand, made two, replacing Saran Singh and Ashok with Tondomba Singh and Meetei. IANSAlso Read: Sports Newslast_img read more

Kenyans sweep London Marathon

first_imgMARY Keitany of Kenya broke Paula Radcliffe’s women’s-only world record to win the London Marathon.Keitany, 35, crossed the finish line on The Mall in two hours 17 minutes one second, the second-fastest time in history.That was 41 seconds quicker than four-time British Olympian Radcliffe ran in winning the event in 2005.Kenyan Daniel Wanjiru, 24, won the men’s race in 2:05:56, with Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia second.Bekele – the 5,000m and 10,000m world record holder – looked to be mounting a challenge in the final stages, but Wanjiru found enough pace to finish strongly and eventually win by nine seconds.Tirunesh Dibaba of Ethiopia was the runner-up in the women’s race, clocking a time of 2:17:56.Speaking to the BBC after the race, Keitany said: “It was a great day for me. It was really amazing, to run the best time.Kenyan Daniel Wanjiru beats favourite Kenenisa Bekele to win his first London Marathon title title – Mirror“The weather was good at the beginning, it was nice for me and my pace. I’ve run my best.”Wanjiru said he felt comfortable running at world-record pace for sections of the race and is still aiming to break Dennis Kimetto’s time of 2:02:57, set in Berlin in 2014.“In the beginning the race was very fast and we were inside world record pace. It was the pace I was preparing for,” he told BBC TV.“We tried to maintain that pace for half of the race. From there it was becoming tougher and tougher. The sun was coming and the day was beautiful – but we don’t need too much sun!”In the women’s race, Britain’s Alyson Dixon finished 12th in a personal best of 2:29:06 to secure her place at this summer’s World Championships.However, Jo Pavey, who needed to finish as one of the top two British women to qualify for August’s championships in London, was forced to retire after about 17 miles.Earlier, Britain’s six time Paralympic champion David Weir took victory in the men’s wheelchair race, beating his rival and last year’s winner Marcel Hug in a sprint finish.(BBC Sport)last_img read more