SC Issues Notice On Plea Challenging Provisions Of Special Marriages Act Requiring Publication Of Private Details Of Parties Intending Marriage [Read Order]

first_imgTop StoriesSC Issues Notice On Plea Challenging Provisions Of Special Marriages Act Requiring Publication Of Private Details Of Parties Intending Marriage [Read Order] Sanya Talwar16 Sep 2020 4:14 AMShare This – xThe Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notice in a plea challenging provisions of the Special Marriages Act, 1954 in so far as they require the parties to the marriage to establish their private details, open for public scrutiny, before 30 days of intended marriage.A bench of Chief Justice SA Bobde, Justices AS Bopanna & V. Ramasubramaniun issued notice in the plea which challenged…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notice in a plea challenging provisions of the Special Marriages Act, 1954 in so far as they require the parties to the marriage to establish their private details, open for public scrutiny, before 30 days of intended marriage.A bench of Chief Justice SA Bobde, Justices AS Bopanna & V. Ramasubramaniun issued notice in the plea which challenged the provisions in context of the Constitutional tenets of Articles 14, 15 & 21 of the Constitution.When the case came up for hearing, CJI SA Bobde asked the counsel for petitioner, “What if children elope to get married and parents need to be told their whereabouts? What if a spouse runs away? How will the other spouse know where they are?”.To this, Advocate Kaleeswaram Raj responded: “The issue circumscribes solely on whether the publication of information of couples can be done. Inquiry by an officer is not the issue.”The petitioner has contended that the provisions allow anyone to submit objections to a marriage and empower the marriage officer to inquire into such objections and that these provisions violate the fundamental rights of couple intending to marry, depriving of their right to privacy under Article 21 of the Constitution.”The requirement of notice before marriage is absent in the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 and customary laws in Islam. Therefore, the said provision is also discriminatory and violative of Article 14 of the Constitution” – Excerpt of PleaThe petitioner, Nandini Praveen, a law student had challenged Sections 6(2), 7, 8, & 10 as well as section 6(3) to the extent to which it says that “Marriage officers shall thereupon cause a copy thereof to be affixed to some conspicuous place in his officer” and section 9 to the extent of dealing with the inquiry. In this regard, the plea reads,”It is averred that as per Section 6(3), publishing details of notice of marriage by the marriage officers include the details of the parties like names, date of birth, age, occupation, parents’ names and details, address, pin code, identity information, phone number etc. This is a peculiar requirement of the SMA. Clauses (2) and (3) of section 6 to the extent to which those direct to cause affixation of notice in some conspicuous place in the office of Marriage Officer are violative of the right to privacy of the parties to the marriage. Section 7 to 8 and 10 of the SMA and section 9 to the extent to which it deals with inquiry under section 8 of the Act are also violative of the right to privacy of the parties to the marriage and are liable to be struck down”While delving into the KS Puttaswamy judgment, the petitioner states that the case has dealt with informational privacy specifically in matters of individual autonomy and right to privacy.”There is no reason by the information provided under Section 6 of the SMA would not be entitled to the protection of informational privacy,” the plea states.Further to this, the plea highlights the alleged discrimination between marriage as stipulated in the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, for marriages under Islam and under SMA.”Subjecting the couples marrying under the SMA to a requirement of causing publication of their details and not subjecting the couples marrying under the HMA & Islamic Law violates the right to equality under Article 14 & 15 of the Constitution,” states Praveen in her plea.Apropos this, the law-student petitioner has sought striking down the aforementioned provisions of the SMA as unjust, illegal and unconstitutional.Click Here To Download PetitionClick Here To Download Order[Read Order]Next Storylast_img read more

Greater Jakarta braces for ‘local’ exodus ahead of Idul Fitri

first_img“I never go to crowded places. I will also not visit other places before heading to my mother’s house,” she told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.“If something happens to me or my mother, we would know how we became infected.”In Jakarta, the national epicenter of the viral outbreak, which has recorded 6,400 confirmed cases and 500 deaths as of Friday, authorities have ramped up efforts to prevent people from traveling to visit their relatives during Idul Fitri.The central government has officially banned mudik (Idul Fitri exodus) in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19, but people have still felt compelled to test the limits of the ban.Residents of Greater Jakarta insist that mudik lokal – visiting relatives within the agglomeration area of 30 million inhabitants – should still be allowed.Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan recently issued an order banning people from entering or leaving Jakarta without prior approval. And while exceptions to the rule seem to apply, he insisted that even local visits were not permitted.“The virus knows no holidays; it doesn’t care if it is Lebaran [Idul Fitri]. Let’s not exacerbate the situation in Greater Jakarta […] and render our efforts over the past two months useless,” Anies said. “Everyone needs to stay at home.”Jakarta Transportation Agency head Syafrin Liputo said that on Friday, the city administration would begin to deploy officers from the Jakarta Transportation Agency, the Public Order Agency (Satpol PP) and the Jakarta Police to 13 checkpoints throughout the city to enforce the regulation.Police officers will also be patrolling the streets for violators.Those who need to travel to and from the capital must be able to produce the necessary permits, which can be downloaded from the corona.jakarta.go.id website. These include, among other requirements, a reference letter from the applicant’s company or institution and a health clearance letter.“Hopefully, people will obey the rules. We don’t want to be in the PSBB situation forever,” Syafrin said.Jakarta imposed the PSBB on April 10. It has twice extended the restrictions, with the current run ending on June 4.Authorities have observed a low level of compliance among the general public from the outset of the curbs, with packed roads and crowds of more than five persons being seen everywhere.Anies himself acknowledged that people were spending more time outside during the afternoon and evenings during the fasting month of Ramadan, which ultimately leads to a rise in the number of new cases.And yet, people find all sorts of reasons to observe the annual tradition.The call to worship at home is particularly dilemmatic for Jakarta resident Lia Nindya, who plans to visit her father in South Tangerang on the first day of Idul Fitri.“Lebaran seems the right moment for my father to see his granddaughter, three months after her birth. She is his first grandchild,” she told the Post.“I would probably not go if I did not have a baby.”Only recently becoming aware of the restrictions that are in force, Lia said she would not get into an argument with the authorities if she was asked to turn back during the trip to her father’s place.The government, with backing from the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) and a number of clerics, has called on Muslim worshipers to celebrate takbiran (eve of Lebaran) and perform the Idul Fitri prayers at home and through virtual gatherings.“We can do video calls with our relatives. Silaturahmi is judged by the closeness of our hearts and not our physical proximity,” Religious Affairs Minister Fachrul Razi said at a press conference on Thursday.The government has pushed back the Idul Fitri mandatory leave of absence to the end of December this year to prevent people from joining the exodus, during which 18.3 million travelers to and from urban centers across the country were recorded in the seven days before and after last year’s celebrations.However, a good portion of Greater Jakarta residents have already left for their hometowns earlier than usual, owing to the impact that COVID-19 restrictions has had on their livelihoods.Topics : Indonesia faces the risk of even more COVID-19 infections after the Idul Fitri holiday this year, as family gatherings and homecoming journeys make up a large part of the yearly tradition for millions of the country’s Muslims.Many people find it difficult to forego the centuries-old practice of extending silaturahmi (communal bonds) during the holiday, even as the government imposes large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) to curb the spread of the deadly disease.The urge is even harder to resist in Greater Jakarta, where the urban sprawl spills across provincial boundaries. Zoraya, who asked not to reveal her family name, currently lives in South Tangerang, Banten, with her husband and in-laws. She is fully aware of the COVID-19 situation, including the government’s call to stay at home.This did not prevent her from visiting her 60-year-old mother in East Jakarta on Thursday, which she felt was the right thing to do before Idul Fitri.The 29-year-old consultant was confident because she had taken all the necessary precautions for coming into contact with the elderly, the most at-risk group for COVID-19.This included buying groceries only at the one particular retailer.last_img read more

January 27, 2019 Police Blotter

first_imgJanuary 27, 2019 Police Blotter012719 Decatur County Fire Report012719 Decatur County EMS Report012719 Decatur County Jail Report012719 Decatur County Law Report012719 Batesville Police Blotterlast_img

NBA trade rumors: Cavaliers’ Kevin Love ‘not going anywhere,’ Collin Sexton says

first_img Kevin Love is latest NBA star to withdraw from Team USA The Cavaliers were one of the worst teams in the NBA last season and finished with a 19-63 record.“We have a good group of guys that want to be better and guys that haven’t given in to losing,” Love said in February, via the News-Herald. “That can be easy when so many games come at you so fast, but we’ve had a mentality that any given night we can win a basketball game. We’re going to continue to be like that.”Love signed a four-year, $120 million extension with Cleveland in July 2018.The Cavaliers do not want to deal the 30-year-old forward and would have to be “blown away” by an offer to consider moving him, according to an earlier report from Cleveland.com.Meanwhile, Cleveland selected Sexton out of Alabama with the No. 8 pick in the 2018 draft. He averaged 16.7 points and 3.0 assists while shooting 40.2% from 3-point range as a rookie.“(Love) was great,” Sexton said. “Once he got back from injury, he was great for us. He taught me a whole lot, and I can’t wait to keep learning from him.” Lakers free agency rumors: Los Angeles an ‘unlikely destination’ for JR Smith The Cavaliers parted ways with interim coach Larry Drew in April and hired John Beilein away from Michigan to replace him. The team fired Tyronn Lue after an 0-6 start to 2018-19.Cleveland added Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland, Belmont wing Dylan Windler and USC guard Kevin Porter Jr. in the first round of the 2019 draft last month. Kyrie Irving is ‘misunderstood,’ Nets’ Joe Harris says “Kevin (Love), he’s not going anywhere,” Sexton said during a recent interview with SiriusXM NBA Radio. “I feel like he’s not going anywhere.”#Cavs Point Guard @CollinSexton02 tells @EvCoRadio why Kevin Love means so much to him & the Cavs organization #BeTheFight pic.twitter.com/88DXC6Bsiz— SiriusXM NBA Radio (@SiriusXMNBA) July 23, 2019Love, a five-time All-Star, struggled with injuries throughout 2018-19 and played in just 22 games. Related News Collin Sexton believes Kevin Love will be on the Cavaliers’ roster next season.Love has been involved in multiple trade rumors this summer, but Sexton thinks his teammate will be staying in Cleveland.last_img read more

Ban on evictions ends today

first_imgDES MOINES — The governor’s ban on evictions and foreclosures brought on by the coronavirus ends today .Iowa Legal Aid Litigation Director Alex Kornya says the court system isn’t fully open yet — so most eviction hearings will still be delayed. But landlords will be able to terminate leases for tenants who have not paid rent or broken terms of the lease.  “Even though the actual hearings for those evictions won’t be taking place until maybe a few weeks to a month and a half from now, that is going to set in motion a chain of events that is going to be pretty catastrophic for a lot of people,” Kornya says.Governor Kim Reynolds says she’s establishing a new fund to prevent some evictions and foreclosures, but hasn’t shared details yet. Kornya says it’s important for that assistance to be part of a longer planning process for Iowans.  “Our clients and the general public are not really going to be able to kind of navigate through this economic fallout of the pandemic without having a long term plan, of which this is an important element but only one element,” according to Kornya.Most debt collections can also resume Thursday. Nursing home evictions and property tax penalties are still suspended until June 25th.last_img read more

Man caught kissing a girl on TV; admits he cheated on his wife

first_imgImage Courtesy: Instagram(@deyviandradelibre)/Twitter(@RGonzalezCBS)Advertisement While kiss cams are not a new thing in sports, the most bizarre of events occurred in a friendly match in Ecuador. As Ecuadorian Serie A sides Barcelona SC and Delfín SC faced each other at the Estadio Monumental Isidro Romero Carbo, the camera man found a couple in the stands, going smackeroo. Usually, noticing themselves on camera, the couples go on. However this time, as soon as the man noticed himself on the big screen, withdrew from the kiss in an awkward manner. The reason dropped like a bombshell later on, as the guy admitted that he was cheating on his wife!Advertisement Image Courtesy: Instagram(@deyviandradelibre)/Twitter(@RGonzalezCBS)The fan donning the Barcelona SC kit was revealed to be one Deyvi Andrade, who recently took it to social media, opening up about his affair with the girl. He also revealed that after the clip of his kiss went viral, his wife has left him.CBS Sports writer Roger Gonzalez uploaded a video of the viral incident, and correctly guessed the outcome: “When you kiss your side chick and realize your marriage is over cuz you’re on camera.” Check it out below-Advertisement When you kiss your side chick and realize your marriage is over cuz you’re on camera 😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/JaETF4sYhDAdvertisement — Roger Gonzalez (@RGonzalezCBS) January 19, 2020Andrade posted a photo of himself with his wife on his Instagram account, with begging forgiveness to his better half in the caption: “I want to go back to living these moments by your side my lovely, I am really sorry and this is why I’ve come out in public to comment on this nonsense, so I can ask you to forgive me here on Instagram. I’m so confused but I want to get you back #forgiveme #Iloveyou #comeback” View this post on Instagram QUIERO VOLVER A VIVIR ESTOS MOMENTOS JUNTO A TI MI PRECIOSA, ESTOY MUY ARREPENTIDO Y ASÍ COMO SALÍ EN PÚBLICO COMETIENDO ESA BURRADA ASÍ MISMO TE VOY A PEDIR DISCULPAS EN UN EN VIVO AQUÍ EN INSTAGRAM, ESTOY MUY CONFUNDIDO PERO QUIERO RECUPERARTE 😔 #perdoname #teamo #regresaA post shared by Deyvi Andrade urgiles (@deyviandradelibre) on Jan 19, 2020 at 2:14pm PSTThe news went so viral on Twitter that even Canadian rock band Nickelback took jest.Kinda feels like this caption nailed it. #oops #ouch https://t.co/Jjkdp78aT9— Nickelback (@Nickelback) January 19, 2020However, Andrade has a different avatar on countering the reprimand he is facing from the global audience and also mentioned about visiting church to ask forgiveness from God.“No one is going to be able to damage my image, God is big and strong and these women who are criticising me, I know too have cheated but they still comment.” he said on Facebook.Along with the embarrassing event, Andrade also saw his team losing the match, as Delfín secured a 1-0 victory against the hosts. Delfín skipper and Ecuador national team forward  Carlos Garcés scored the winner in the 32nd minute.Also read-Antoine Griezmann jokingly blames his wife for France penalty miss!Actor comes to Hardik Pandya’s rescue over a racist Instagram comment Advertisementlast_img read more