Steve to steer his family through another nightmare

first_imgNathan KilleenWhen the trial date was set for the Dundon and Killeen Murder trial at the Special Criminal Court, the two accused men were returned to custody.However Nathan Killeen was brought back to the courtroom for Detective Christine Bergin to charge him with the murder of James Cronin on a date unknown between April 5 and 7, 2008 at an unknown place within the state.20 year-old Cronin was found in a shallow grave in Caledonian Park with a single gunshot wound to the head.Killeen said “its a stitch up.” Previous articleMan killed after he fell from moving car in county LimerickNext articleThe murder that moved a city Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Andrew Carey | [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up EVIL entered the lives of the Collins family on April 9, 2009 when 34 year-old Roy Collins was murdered in broad daylight outside his Limerick amusement arcade at the Roxboro shopping centre.On May 5, 2010, James Dillon, a 24-year-old man of no fixed abode, admitted firing the shot that killed Roy Collins a year earlier. Gardaí found him hiding under a bed in Ballinacurra and, after 26 interviews and a visit from his grandfather, Dillion pleaded guilty on the day his trial was due to begin at the Central Criminal Court.He was jailed for life.This Tuesday, Roy Collins’ father Steve will have to steer his family through another court ordeal when two men go on trial for his son’s murder.Wayne Dundon (35) of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect and Nathan Killeen (24) of Hyde Road, Prospect – whose sister is married to Wayne Dundon’s brother John – are both charged with murdering Roy Collins.Gardai have linked the murder to an incident in 2004 when Annabel Dundon, then 14 and a member of the McCarthy Dundon family, was refused entry to Brannigans pub, which was owned by Steve Collins.Prosecutors had previously told the Central Criminal Court that Ryan Lee, a first cousin of Roy Collins, refused the girl entry. Wayne Dundon called to the pub and threatened to kill Lee by cocking his finger and saying “F*** you, you’re dead”.He was later convicted of threatening to kill Ryan Lee and served five years of a seven year sentence and Gardaí claim that Roy Collins’ murder is linked to members of his family giving evidence against Dundon.After the murder Steve Collins was placed under Garda protection but he’s also had to live with the belief that Dillion was just the hired gun that carried out a “cowardly and unforgiveable act”.In March 2012, the burden finally became too much for the Collins family and, on what was described as a “sad day for Limerick, they left the city to set up a new life under the witness protection scheme.“It is too much. Everywhere we go, the guards have to go with us. It is not a normal life,” Mr Collins said before he boarded an Aer Lingus flight with his wife Carmel, their adult son Steve Jnr and daughter Leeann.The State bought the family pub in Roxboro with the proceeds helping the family set up abroad. The Limerick Local Authorities made plans to put the property to good use in Roy’s memory and set up a Regeneration Office there.Steve and Carmel Collins return regularly to visit their son’s grave.It’s as far as their links to Limerick go and many locals feel that the city still owes them a debt for “speaking out”, as Independent city councillor John Gilligan puts it.Last month Carmel Collins organised anniversary Masses, remembrance notices and visited the cemetery with extended family.Since their arrest and remand in custody, lawyers for Dundon and Killeen have sought to delay their trial coming before the three judge non-jury court. Even the recent Garda phone recording revelations played a role in the process.But the trial remains listed for this Tuesday as Limerick awaits the verdict of The People of Ireland versus Wayne Dundon and Nathan Killeen. Advertisement Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch NewsCrime & CourtSteve to steer his family through another nightmareBy Staff Reporter – April 29, 2014 1140 Twitter Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick WhatsApp Email Linkedin #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook TAGSmurderMusic Limerickroy collinssteve collins Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Print #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ New Music: 40Hurtzlast_img read more

Roosevelt Field Mall Shooting Scare Sparks Stampede, Again

first_imgNo arrests were made in the incident. The mall was never on lockdown, although two stores momentarily closed their gates as a precaution, LeBrun said.A similar incident occurred on Christmas Eve in 2013 at Roosevelt Field Mall when a shoplifter got into a scuffle with security, causing a display case to fall over, creating a loud sound that shoppers also mistook for a shooting, sparking another stampede. And four days before Christmas last year, shoppers fled when an armed robber’s gun went off at a watch store in Roosevelt Field Mall, hitting and injuring an employee—the only time in recent memory that the scare turned out to be an actual shooting inside the mall, although it was not an active shooter situation.The only recent Roosevelt Field Mall-related shootings that resulted in fatalities occurred at businesses near the shopping center, but not inside the mall or during the holidays. In September 2013, a gunman opened fire at a lighting company a block from the mall and in March 2014, a gunman fired a shotgun into a crowd at Mint Restaurant & Lounge on Ring Road, which circles the mall. Both gunmen struck two victims and killed one each. The lighting store gunman later committed suicide and the restaurant shooter was sentenced in September to 23 years in prison for murder.LeBrun said that despite the chaos in the latest case, the public should not hesitate to call 911 when they believe a crime has been committed.“We always expect and implore the public to call the police,” he said. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Shoppers stampeded after the sound of furniture falling during a food court fist fight was mistaken for gunshots in what may be a new annual holiday tradition at Roosevelt Field Mall.Three dozen Nassau County police officers responded to reports of shots fired at the East Garden City mall on Monday, one of the busiest shopping days of the year, shortly before 7 p.m., authorities said. Upon arrival, officers found people running for their lives, but no evidence of a shooting—just an altercation and some flipped tables and chairs.“To the untrained ear, when they heard maybe a falling table onto a marble floor, it creates quite a noise,” said Det. Lt. Richard LeBrun, a police spokesman.Similar scares were reported after someone slammed a chair down at a mall in New Jersey, and following fights at malls in Colorado, Arizona and reportedly in several other states.Nassau police said there were 70 calls to 911 in a very short period and that some callers mistakenly believed that shots had been fired at Roosevelt Field Mall. Some social media users warned people to stay away from the mall because there was a shooting. But officers found no shots were fired, although seven people suffered minor injuries—including the victim in the initial fight.last_img read more

Sunderland sign Senegal striker Dame N’Doye on loan

first_img Press Association Sunderland have signed Senegal striker Dame N’Doye on loan from Trabzonspor for the rest of the season. “Having already played in the Premier League, he should have no problems in hitting the ground running, too, which is very important at this stage of the season.” After spells with Academica in Portugal and Greek sides Panathinaikos and OFI Crete, N’Doye enjoyed the most prolific spell of his career at FC Copenhagen, scoring 59 goals in 104 appearances. His stint in Denmark ended in 2012 when he joined Lokomotiv Moscow, and his form there earned him a move to Hull. N’Doye made an immediate impact with three goals in his first four games and also scored a double against Crystal Palace but finished last season on a five-match winless run as Hull were relegated. He spent pre-season with Hull but left after Trabzonspor met his release clause of £2.2million, which was £800,000 less than the Tigers paid for him. N’Doye, who will wear the number 10 shirt for Sunderland, has been a regular for Senegal since making his debut in 2010 and played in last year’s African Nations Cup. He will not be available for Saturday’s trip to Tottenham because formalities pertaining to his work visa still need to be completed. center_img The 30-year-old has Barclays Premier League experience having played for Hull last season, scoring five goals in 15 appearances before moving to Turkey in August. Black Cats boss Sam Allardyce told the club website: ” Dame will bring something different to our forward options. last_img read more

RIO 2016 OLYMPIC GAMES: Poland’s Wlodarczyk Breaks Women Hammer World Record

first_imgPoland’s Anita Wlodarczyk added more than a metre to her own world record yesterday when she threw 82.29m at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.Wlodarczyk improved by 1.21m on the mark of 81.08m she set last year on home soil in Cetniewo.It was a stunning competition by the 2015 world champion who took the silver medal at the London 2012 Olympic Following a relatively modest opener, at least for her, of 76.35m, Wlodarczyk broke the Olympic record with her second round effort of 80.40m before getting the world record on the following throw.After a foul in the fourth round, she reached 81.74m, also in excess of her former world record, with her fifth throw before finishing off her series with the new title.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Angels Notes: Martin Maldonado frustrated with limits on mound visits

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Maldonado’s stance nonetheless highlights how vital he feels it is for be able to visit his pitcher.“I think mound visits are important,” Maldonado said. “It’s how you slow the game down for the pitcher. As a catcher you are always thinking ahead. The mound visit lets you focus and get back on track.”Maldonado also said he was concerned about possible injuries to catchers who aren’t prepared for a certain pitch because they weren’t able to go to the mound to get straight on signs. The rules do have a stipulation allowing an extra visit after an apparent cross-up, though.The Angels’ pitchers seemed to have mixed feelings, believing that six visits is ample most of the time, but it could be a problem in the times that it’s not.“It will be maybe a little adjustment,” Matt Shoemaker said. “If the catcher is going to come out now, I’ll have to second-guess that depending on how many visits there have been. So that’s going to be a pretty big adjustment. But, ultimately, I think it’s fine.” TEMPE, Ariz. — Martin Maldonado said he won’t let the commissioner’s plan for quicker games interrupt what he feels is a critical part of his job.A day after Major League Baseball’s new restrictions on mound visits were released, the Angels catcher said the limit of six visits won’t stop him if he feels a trip is necessary.“If I have to go out there, I’m going to go,” Maldonado said. “If the game is on the line, I’m going to go out there. If we’re at six (visits), and it’s going to be the seventh, I’m going to go out there, even if I have to pay a fine. I’m there for the pitchers. If they need me, I’m going to go out there. It doesn’t matter how many times I go. If I have to pay a fine or whatever, I’m willing to pay.”Later in the day, Manager Mike Scioscia said he didn’t believe Maldonado would actually try to go to the mound beyond the allowed number of visits. Joe Torre, baseball’s executive vice president in charge of baseball operations, said the umpire simply wouldn’t allow the seventh visit.center_img Tyler Skaggs said he doesn’t feel any changes were necessary to speed up the game: “People pay to come watch us play. There’s no time limit on the game.”KEY STEP FOR RAMIREZJC Ramirez, who is recovering from a damaged ulnar collateral ligament, faced hitters for the first time in his rehab on Tuesday. He pitched the equivalent of two innings, and said afterward he felt fine.“I feel really happy with how I felt today,” Ramirez said. “It looks good. It’s firm. Location-wise was good. I’m excited to be in my first game of the spring.”Ramirez said he’s scheduled to pitch for the first time in a Cactus League game on March 1, which would put him slightly behind the other starters, but not so much that he couldn’t still be ready by opening day.ANGEL STADIUM CHANGESThe Angels announced that they have changed the dimensions for home runs at Angel Stadium this season. Now, balls will need to clear a yellow line eight feet high on the right field wall – just below the out-of-town scoreboard – for a home run. Previously, a ball needed to clear the scoreboard, which is 18 feet high, to be a home run.General Manager Billy Eppler said he learned last July that the club was making changes with the scoreboard, they did some analysis on the wall and determined they could “create an environment that had a little bit more balance.”OHTANI REPORTShohei Ohtani took live batting practice for the first time, although he did not swing. Typically, the first days of live batting practice are more for the benefit of the pitchers than hitters, who simply track pitches to get used to the velocity. Ohtani said he had the option to swing, but chose to only track pitches.Ohtani will throw his next bullpen session on Thursday, and then be scheduled to pitch in his first game. Presumably, a bullpen session on Thursday eliminates him from starting a game on Friday, so Saturday is the earliest he could pitch in a game.In other Ohtani news, Commissioner Rob Manfred said his office is still investigating how his medical report was leaked to the media in December. Yahoo Sports obtained a copy of his medical report, which revealed he had a first degree sprain of his ulnar collateral ligament.“If we had figured out where that leak came from, you would probably know about it,” Manfred said. “We have not been able to do that, but we have not given up. Medical information is always a particularly sensitive topic. It’s something I think we owe to all the players, to do everything possible to figure out how that information became available.”last_img read more

Željezničar vs. Metalurg: Draw 0:0

first_imgWithin the European League 2. Round Qualification, the footballers of Željezničar from Sarajevo played the match against Metalurg from Skopje and finished with the result of  0:0.In the first halftime Željezničar had a greater possession of the ball but could’t find a way to escape the Metalurg’s defense.Both teams had their chance to score but the goal nets remained intact to the end of the match.In the second halftime the home team of Metalurg had two great chances but B&H team’s defense eliminated that threat.Although Željezničar had couple of more chances till the end of the match, the result stayed the same.The teams will play the next match on July 22nd at the Koševo stadium in Sarajevo. (Source: Fena)last_img read more