Odds & Ends: Hamilton Conquers Billboard Charts & More

first_imgWatch this on The Scene. Daniel Radcliffe Hamilton View Comments Star Filescenter_img from $149.00 Related Shows Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today. Hamilton Conquers Billboard ChartsEveryone wants to be in the room where it happens! The Hamilton cast album bowed at No. 12 on the Billboard 200, the highest debut for a cast recording since 1963 (when mono and stereo tallies were combined). The record also landed at No. 9 on Top Album Sales, No. 3 on Rap Albums, No. 5 on Digital Albums…and No.1 on Cast Albums (naturally!). Congratulations to creator and star Lin-Manuel Miranda and all involved with the show; the gargantuan hit is currently playing at the Richard Rodgers Theatre.Tracy Letts & Toni Collette Join Daniel Radcliffe FilmTwo-time Tony winner Tracy Letts and Toni Collette—who co-starred together on the Main Stem last year in The Realistic Joneses—will reunite in thriller Imperium. According to Deadline, Tony nominee Sam Trammell has also been tapped for the lineup. Five-time Broadway.com Choice Award winner Daniel Radcliffe headlines the movie as an FBI agent who infiltrates a white supremacist group. Directed by Daniel Ragussis, filming is scheduled to kick off this week in Hopewell, V.A.Nathan Lane, Christian Borle & Aaron Tveit Team UpTony winners Nathan Lane and Christian Borle, your Broadway boyfriend Aaron Tveit, Bridget Everett, Annie Golden and more will pay tribute to composer and lyricists Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman at this year’s Primary Stages Gala. The event will take place on November 16 at 583 Park Avenue and feature numbers from the Tony and Grammy-winning duo’s repertoire including Hairspray, Catch Me If You Can and Smash. Can we come?Dame Eileen Atkins HonoredThree-time Olivier winner Dame Eileen Atkins will receive the Gielgud Award for Excellence in the Dramatic Arts at this year’s U.K. Theatre Awards. The ceremony is scheduled to take place on October 18 at London’s historic Guildhall. Atkins was last seen on Broadway in 2005’s Doubt; she garnered Tony nods for her performances in The Retreat From Moscow, Indiscretions, Vivat! Vivat Regina! and The Killing of Sister George.JHUD Can Belt AnythingWe’ve long suspected it, but it’s now been proven by the video below—everything sounds better when Jennifer Hudson sings it! Literally…everything, including messages about feminine hygiene products. The Oscar winner will begin previews in The Color Purple at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre on November 10 and we cannot wait to welcome her to Broadway!last_img read more

Twitter Says It Labelled 300,000 ‘Misleading’ US Election Tweets

first_imgNearly half of Trump’s tweets were flagged by the platform in the days following the election, as the president claimed, without evidence, that he had won and that the process had been tainted by massive fraud.Which is the best TV under Rs. 25,000? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below. – Advertisement – Of the 3,00,000 flagged tweets, 456 were covered over by a warning message and had engagement features limited, users could not like, retweet or reply to the posts, said Vijaya Gadde, Twitter’s head of legal, policy and trust and safety, in a blog post.She estimated that 74 percent of people who saw the problematic tweets did so after they had been labelled as misleading or flagged with a warning message, and sharing of the posts, as a result, declined by about 29 percent.During the election period, Twitter posted messages on American users’ pages which were seen 389 million times that “reminded people that election results were likely to be delayed, and that voting by mail is safe and legitimate,” Gadde added.- Advertisement –center_img Twitter labeled 3,00,000 tweets related to the US presidential election as “potentially misleading” in the two weeks surrounding the vote, making up 0.2 percent of election-related posts, the company said Thursday.The social network said the labels were issued between October 27 and November 11, one week before and after the US presidential election on November 3, which Democrat Joe Biden won over incumbent Donald Trump.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Middle East Christians facing ‘extremist atrocities’

first_img Sharing is caring! FaithLifestyle Middle East Christians facing ‘extremist atrocities’ by: – June 14, 2011 Share Tweet 28 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Share Dr Williams said there had been extremist atrocities already, especially in EgyptThe Archbishop of Canterbury has warned that there are extreme forces at work that have turned the Arab Spring into a “very anxious time” for Christians.Dr Rowan Williams told the BBC that the vacuum left by the end of autocratic regimes was being filled by extremists.He claimed there had been more killings of Christians and burnings of churches in Egypt than people were aware of.Life was unsustainable for Christians in northern Iraq, and tensions in Syria were nearing breaking point, he added.The Middle East is the birthplace of Christianity and home to some of the world’s most ancient Christian denominations.There is no agreed figure for the number of Christians in the region, though some experts believe there are as many as 10 million.‘Consistent pattern’ In an interview with BBC Radio 4’s The World at One, Dr Williams said he was “guardedly optimistic” that the political upheavals in the Middle East and North Africa would bring greater democracy to the region.“In the long term, of course, a real participatory democracy in the region is bound to be in the interests of minorities because good democracies look after minorities,” he said.But in the short term, he warned, people were using the chaos it had brought to attack Christian minorities.“There is no doubt at all that it is a very anxious time for Christian communities. There have been extremist atrocities already, especially in Egypt,” he said.“It is a fairly consistent pattern over a number of months. Although at leadership level in the Muslim community in Egypt there is clear condemnation of this, it’s evident that there are other forces at work which of course may not be native Egyptian,” he added.He suggested outside elements had entered Egypt from “more traditional sites of extremism”, such as Saudi Arabia and northern Sudan, and did not rule out activity by al-Qaeda.Dr Williams said violent extremism had made life unsustainable for Christians in northern Iraq, in a way that amounted to ethnic cleansing.“The level of violence has been extreme,” he said.“More and more there is the talk of an ‘enclave solution’ to the problem in Iraq – that is a sort of safe territory for Christians, which Christians and their leaders don’t particularly want, but many would think is the only practical outcome now.”He said even in Syria, where Christians and Muslims had long lived together peacefully, tensions were building to breaking point.Even in Bethlehem, the birthplace of Jesus Christ, Christians who had once been in the majority were now a “marginalised minority”, he added.BBC Newslast_img read more

‘High-value’ drug suspect falls

first_imgJopson was nabbed after she soldsuspected illegal drugs to an undercover officer for P300 around 9:30 p.m. onDec. 25, the report added. The suspect was detained in the lockupcell of Police Station 7, facing charges for violation of Republic Act 9165, orthe Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002./PN Antidrug operatives inspect the suspected shabu seized from “high-value” suspect Shery Mae Jopson during an entrapment operation in Barangay Mansilingan, Bacolod City on Dec. 25. POLICE STATION 7/BCPO Bacolod City – A “high-value” drug suspect was arrested in a buy-bustoperation in Barangay Mansilingan.center_img PHOTO BY POLICE STATION 7/BCPO Suspected shabu weighing about twograms valued around P20,000 was seized from 24-year-old resident Shery MaeJopson, a police report showed.last_img read more

Girls High School Basketball Scores (11-22)

first_imgWRBI Area Girls High School Basketball Scores.Friday (11-22)Jac-Cen-Del  63     Oldenburg Academy  21South Decatur  64     Greensburg  49Switzerland County  58     Rising Sun  38Hauser  58     Waldron  35Southwestern  52     Shelbyville  50Jennings County  68     Southwestern  47Connersville  49     Centerville  30Rushville  65     Mt. Vernon  43Randolph Southern  48     Union County  32last_img

FIFA put plans for lucrative new Club World Cup, Nations League on hold

first_imgHis other project is to launch a biennial league tournament for nations, the global Nations League, a sort of mini-World Cup with eight national teams competing. UEFA recently launched its own European Nations League.Infantino says he has an offer of $25 billion over 12 years for the two competitions from a group of investors, which the Financial Times has identified as SoftBank from Japan, backed by Saudi Arabia among others.The 48-year-old FIFA president nevertheless insisted that “no sovereign fund is involved”.The source added: “UEFA are against these new competitions, because the Club World Cup would trim their share of the market from the Champions League, and by creating a global Nations League, FIFA would want to take over the commercialisation of the rights for all Nations Leagues.”Infantino suggested that it would be better for FIFA to organise a tournament that redistributes money around the game than for top European clubs to regularly travel abroad to take part in money-spinning friendly matches.“Everyone is happy to go around the world and try to cash in as much as possible. The only organisation in the world of football which is doing solidarity and development all over the world is FIFA,” he said.“There is certainly space for these games, interesting club games, without adding to the international match calendar.”Infantino also used the Council meeting to confirm that FIFA is opposed to La Liga’s plans to stage a match between Barcelona and Girona in the United States in January.In addition, FIFA endorsed a package of proposals to reform the transfer system, including reintroducing licences for player agents and limiting the number of players that can be loaned out by clubs.South American federation CONMEBOL’s request to move the Copa America from odd to even years and be held every four years from 2020 was granted, as was the Confederation of African Football’s request to stage the 2023 Cup of Nations in June and July, as is already planned for next year.Share on: WhatsApp Kigali, Rwanda | AFP | FIFA President Gianni Infantino has delayed any decision over his plans for a lucrative new Club World Cup and global Nations League amid widespread opposition, instead setting up a taskforce to further look into the proposals.Speaking at a press conference in the Rwandan capital Kigali, where the FIFA Council has been meeting, Infantino said the taskforce will present “concrete proposals” at a meeting in Miami next March.The plans have been harshly criticised by opponents who say the international calendar is already overcrowded and have accused the FIFA president of using the projects to help win votes for re-election in June next year.A source told AFP that Infantino stepped back from adopting the new competitions on Friday when UEFA delegates threatened to walk out of the meeting.That is after the World Leagues Forum, a grouping of professional leagues, sent a letter to Infantino demanding that no final decision be taken in Kigali and lamenting the lack of any consultation. UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has also been critical of the plans.“I am happy to have contributed to peace in the world today if some were seeing it so dramatic,” Infantino remarked.“Everyone agrees the Club World Cup needs to be revamped, everyone in the world.“There are some who have different interests. We were not going to decide today how to revamp them, there are different options on the table.“FIFA’s duty is to organise competitions, so I don’t understand why we cannot talk about them.”– ‘No sovereign fund involved’ –Infantino is pushing to revamp the Club World Cup by boosting it from seven clubs to 24 in a four-year format, 12 of them European. Currently the competition, which elicits little interest outside of Latin America, is played every year in December.last_img read more